Thank you for thinking about coming to me for support in the concerns that bring you to counseling, particularly if you feel you are still stuck with things you have been aware of for a long time and want to change.
As a Certified IFS Therapist trained in Internal Family Systems theory, I look forward to working with you and all the aspects or "parts" of yourself. As your guide, I will help you to help the parts of you that work so hard to keep you going, and bringing comfort and relief to the parts that carry burdens that we usually push down, like grief, shame, or loneliness. In working with clients and with my Self, I have found that IFS allows for deeper understanding and connection with what is inside us, for insight and healing that brings us to a new place.
I specialize in working with adults who have survived violence, trauma, or sexual abuse during childhood. So often depression and lack of feeling good about yourself, having no interest in things you used to enjoy, feeling anxiety and panic, being super sensitive to situations and people, and the inability to ever really relax or find comfort in silence, are things that trauma survivors navigate daily. All this can change in a new and freeing way, with a respectful approach to the parts of us who are holding so tightly to what they have always done to endure and keep going.
I like to work with individuals, couples in conflict, blended and traditional families including children, and struggling teens. I have experience with clients struggling with grief, illness, addictions, depression, anxiety, compassion fatigue, and life transitions including previous incarceration. I teach Positive Discipline parenting classes and support frustrated parents of toddler and teens. I also use the Prepare-Enrich Inventory and Gottman materials for pre-marital counseling and relational check-ups.
I am a Licensed Associate Marriage and Family therapist (LAMFT) and Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and I maintain a private practice in an office in Boise and offer Telehealth video session for clients in the state of Idaho. While I am a marriage and family therapist, I know that one person finding change will influence the whole family system - even if I never have more than you visiting with me! While I will use a variety of ways to help you if you are my client(s), my primary approach to therapy is IFS theory. I also sometimes draw from Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT), Adlerian psychology, and Oaklander play therapy. I like inviting the use of creative materials with teens and adults, including materials like pastels, clay, and sand tray activities.
- Certified Internal Family Systems (IFS) Therapist - 2020
- Certified Clinical Telemental Health Provider, CTMH - 2020
- Telehealth for Mental Health Professionals - Certificate, 2020
- IFS Level 1 Training - 2019
- IFS Level 2 Training, Intimacy From the Inside Out (IFIO) Basic training - 2019
- Certified Adlerian Therapist - 2015, 2019; multiple ISIP trainings since 2014
- EFT - Certificate, 2018; Externship, 2019
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy - Levels 1 and 2, 2016
- Oaklander play therapy - 2017, 2018, 2019
My initial education was in nursing, before I became a Christian pastor. I have worked in a congregation and in hospitals, with many of my years as a hospital Chaplain, most recently working in an oncology clinic with cancer patients and their loved ones. I have encountered all kinds of people including those of all faiths and no faith, and many who are "spiritual but not religious". You will find me to be inclusive, affirming, and welcoming of all. And when I am not counseling, you may see me with my family, riding my bicycle, or out for a hike! I truly look forward to meeting with you.
- Bachelor of Arts in Nursing, 1997
- Master of Divinity, 2002
- Master of Science, 2018, Emphasis Area: Grief, Trauma, and Crisis
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Idaho Counseling Association (ICA)
- North American Society of Adlerian Psychology (NASAP)
- Idaho Society of Individual Psychology (ISIP)
- Positive Discipline Association (PDA)
Kelly Loy, LAMFT, LPC, NCC, MDiv, RN
Email: [email protected]
671 E. Riverpark Lane, Suite 100, Boise, ID 83706 (off Parkcenter Blvd.)
Telehealth Video Sessions - in Idaho